Growing up, my dad and I always ate grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup for lunch, especially when Mom was out. I still love regular tomato soup (and grilled cheese), but I had the urge to dress this up a bit, and I must say, it was quite a success. The balsamic vinegar adds a lovely sweetness, and the chunks of fresh tomatoes make the soup a bit heartier. It’s a great way to warm up as the weather gets chillier.
Cooking time: 20 minutes or less
Servings: 2+ (If you’re eating it with grilled cheese sandwiches, three servings at least, I think)
- 1 can reduced-sodium condensed tomato soup
- low-fat milk to fill the can
- 1 ripe tomato
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Chop the tomato into 1/3 to 1/2 inch pieces.
- Pour the can of soup into a small pot and turn the heat on medium-low. Use a little bit of water to get out the bits stuck to the can. Fill the can with milk and add it to the pot. Stir until the soup is dissolved into the milk.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, onion and garlic powders and pepper. Stir well. Pour in the vinegar while stirring the soup.
- Stir occasionally until heated through. Serve piping hot, preferably with a grilled cheese sandwich.