I typed up the ingredients for this post a while back but never finished the post. I’m glad I typed up those, or I never would have remembered! This dish was fairly quick, aside from the baking, very tasty and colorful.
Cooking time: 30 minutes prep plus 40-50 minutes baking time
- 1 large bunch rainbow chard
- 1 small onion (yellow or white)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup eggs substitute (3 eggs worth)
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 cup low fat milk
- 1/8 tsp salt
- black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 c shredded cheese (I used part Swiss cheese, part vegetable Jack cheese)
- Rinse the chard well and shake off the excess water. Separate any ribs of the chard thicker than 1/4 inch from the leaves by cutting along the edge of each side of the rib. Set the leaves aside for now. Slice the ribs into 1/3 inch thick pieces. Dice the onion.
- Preheat the oven to 375. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Saute the onion a few minutes until starting to get tender. Add the chard ribs, stirring occasionally. While that cooks, lay a few leaves on top of each other, roll them up, and cut into 1/2 inch wide pieces (chiffonade). If any of the leaves are particularly wide, you can also cut them in half lengthwise to make slightly smaller pieces.
- When the chard ribs are tender, add the leaves to the pan and stir. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the rest of the ingredients. Spray a 9 inch pie plate with non-stick spray.
- After the leaves have cooked for a few minutes and are wilted, turn off the heat. Continue to stir and cook one minute more. Then add the chard mixture to the egg mixture. Mix thoroughly. Pour into prepared dish.
- Bake in the middle of the oven until set in the middle on the top and golden on the edges, about 40-50 minutes. You may need to rotate the pan once during baking depending on how your oven distributes heat. The quiche will continue to cook for a few minutes outside the oven, so it doesn’t need to be completely set in the middle before removing it from the oven. Excellent with a tomato salad.