Have you ever had one of those sandwiches with leftover roasted turkey, dressing and cranberry sauce? It’s very tasty but also a lot of bread in one meal. In this turkey salad recipe, I combined the flavors of the dressing with the turkey. I still recommend a few slices of jellied cranberry sauce. It adds delightful sweetness and tang. This salad would also work well stuffed inside a ripe tomato.
Servings: about 3
Cooking time: less than 25 minutes, depending on how quickly you chop vegetables.
- 1 cup turkey pieces
- 1 rib celery (about 1/2 cup chopped)
- a few sprigs of parsley (about 1/4 cup chopped)
- 1 small apple (about 1/3 cup chopped)
- 3/4 tsp rubbed sage
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper (less or more to taste)
- tiny pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4-1/3 cup light mayonnaise (to taste)
- slices of jellied cranberry sauce (optional)
- Chop the celery, parsley and apple into small pieces and place in a medium bowl. Combine with turkey pieces.
- In a small bowl, combine spices, oil and 1/4 cup mayo. Add this mixture to the turkey mixture. Add a little more mayo if necessary.
- Spread onto toasted slices of bread with a layer of cranberry sauce. Mmmm…